Sunday, May 5, 2013

I change my mind a lot. I've attended multiple colleges, followed several different career paths, moved around... just trying to figure it all out. Sometimes I struggle with this aspect of myself. Can I really commit to something? Or do I just move on when it gets too hard? But then I remind myself that you can never really know if something will work until you try it. Up to this point in my life I've pursued careers in the theater, the church, teaching, music, and now medicine. I've attended school in Wisconsin, New York and Mississippi. I've declared majors in theater, history, music, and spanish. I've travelled all over the place. I'm 26 years old and I'm just now graduating college. This Saturday actually.  But for the first time in my life I have an idea of where I'm going. The choices I've made have led me somewhere really amazing. 

I'm moving to Honduras in 3 months. I'll be there for a year working for the Episcopal Church through the Young Adult Service Corps. And oddly enough... every strange path I've careened down in my relatively short life will have immeasurable benefits in this uncertain year ahead. In this next year, I will use everything I've worked on and learned about in every place I've lived. My blossoming and confusing spirituality will continue to grow and baffle me while I work with local high school students (teaching) and volunteer at hospitals and clinics (medicine). I'll be in a new environment (travel), speaking a new language (Spanish), learning new customs (so many things). And while the thought of this year ahead is slightly terrifying, I find it astounding that all of my seemingly different career paths and interests have come full circle, and I will use EVERYTHING in my year of service. 

And I think that's pretty awesome to be honest.

No comments:

Post a Comment